Tuesday, December 21, 2010

There's something wrong with this stomach


I had a breakthrough moment today.
I know you all think it involved some important medical concept like, understanding the concept of a direct and indirect inguinal hernia, or recognising type II respiratory failure on a blood gas.

No, this is nothing you will ever find in a text book and it probably won't be relevant to a lot of people out there, but for a select few who pay appropriate attention, and who work in this hospital and or department in the future, this little gem is going to make your life so much easier.
(Also, the only reason I'm not selling it and making millions so I can retire early and sleep in my own bed every night, is because it's not marketable...else I would have.)

For 6 months I have been working in surgery, and because I am NO surgeon and occasionally; ok, make that daily; need a bit of advice on 'what now?' it's nice that in this little almost-middle-of-nowhere dorpie, we have a really-real surgeon (with and FCS and everything).
Like most 'Cnsultants' though, he's virtually impossible to actualy track down and keep in one spot for an opinion, unless you can use the words 'stab heart' or 'toxic megacolon' somewhere in your sentence.
Since my sentences usually have the words, "Come to clinic" or "There's a guy in the ward",I get ignored a lot.
He ignores pages(please refer to previous blog on pagers), he ignores sms's, he occasionally answers his phone, but if he's in theatre and operating, even if the anaesthetist takes a message and you impress upon them the need for a referral decision before 15h30 in the afternoon, he's probably only going to get back to you at 15h55.( Not 16h05 when it's technically the on-call persons problem either)

It's been 6 months and I've just accepted it.
The way I've accepted that pharmacists only give 1 week supply of antibiotics even if the protocol/Essential Drug book and your prescription say 2.
The way I've accepted that even an urgent CT report will take 48 hours to make it's way in cyberspace from Klerksdorp to Rand Clinic, back to Klerksdorp and then faxed to Potch even if you call every hour for those 48 hours to impress upon them the urgency of URGENT CT Report.
I've accepted that unless you harass him, he won't get back to you and your patient's gangrenous toes will eventually just auto-amputate themselves.
Today I get to a patient in my ward who was admitted during the night with what looks like a bowel obstruction. I see the patient, ask a few questions, feel his stomach and pick up the X-ray. Something is wrong....I mean I've seen a fair amount of air fluid levels in my life, but this is one impressive air fluid level, this needs a 'What now?' decision.
I know if I page him, he won't answer. I know if I sms, he won't respond. and it's not even 9am. It's too early to start whining.
So I put the X-ray on the light box, take a photo and then thanks to my very cute little Blackberry, BBM him the pic with the caption
'Something is wrong with this stomach'.

It wasn't even 30seconds...phone call.
Consultant: "What X-ray is this?"
Me: "It's a patient in the ward"
Consultant: "I'm coming"

And what do you know, without having to whine all day, without having to use the words "stab heart" or "bleeding varices" my patient was seen in 10 minutes and was in theatre before lunch.
I've been taking pictures of X-rays and patients all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment